I’m always on the lookout for new sources from which to build my writing skills. I recently came across a podcast run primarily by three authors. One is the guy who was hired to finish Robert Jordon’s Wheel of Time series (as well as plenty of his own novels), one is the author and artist behind long-running webcomic Schlock Mercenary, and the third is a horror writer with 5 novels in print.
They talk about all facets of writing, from genre-specific stuff to the business end of writing and marketing.
It’s called Writing Excuses. It’s only 15 minutes (or so) per episode, and I have found it amusing, interesting, and helpful. For an introduction, here’s a collection of podcasts they’ve done about world building in fiction. Just look down for the â€œAudio MP3â€ link at the bottom of the post, but before the comments.
- World Building: Religion
- World Building: Non-Human races
- World Building: Governments
- World Building: History
- World Building: Dialects and In-World Jargon
- World Building: Gender Roles
- World Building: The Future
- World Building: Story Bibles
- World Building: Brainstorming Urban Fantasy
- World Building: Communications Technology